Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 11: Spinal Tap: Spinal Tap (Soundtrack)

This is quite possibly the oddest item in my entire collection. When I was first discovering music, my dad found a travel case filled with tapes right next to a lake. No one was around and it was pretty beat up so he decided to bring it home with him. My brothers and I dug through it to see if there was anything decent. At the time I was not at all impressed with anything. Later on, when metal had taken hold of me, I went back through the tapes along with all of my parents' records and CDs in search of something. I found this tape and Suicidal Tendencies: Join the Army.

I did not know it at the time, but this was a soundtrack to a movie and the band was not real. I had even seen the band on The Simpsons so I had no idea that they were not a real band. With that being said, I was not overly impressed with the music on the album at first. There were some decent songs but the lyrics seemed absurd. "Big Bottom" and "Sex Farm" were of course sexually explicit and several songs did not come close to resembling metal.

Later on, I did discover that the band was fake, although the actors who played the over-the-hill band in the movie did really play these songs. It gave the songs a bit of a different feel knowing that. Then I saw the movie, seriously one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The mockumentary is about the band travelling the U.S. on tour, which can only be described as an unmitigated disaster. Between drummers dying mysteriously, problems with set props, an album cover that was too sexually explicit so the label released a simply black cover (pictured), not being able to find the stage, and inner squabbles, nothing seems to go right. A great movie, I highly recommend it. The album though, is unnecessary with the exceptions of "Stone Henge" and "Hell Hole".

No comments:

Post a Comment