Friday, May 1, 2009

Heaven and Hell Initial Impressions

I will probably write a more detailed review on this later but I figured I might give some initial thoughts on the album first. Some of these thoughts will probably be reiterated when I do a full review. So I will apologize beforehand.

1. The cover art is awesome. There's no other way to put it. I just love it.

2. Heaven and Hell is definitely a doom metal band. Many of the songs are slower and more melodic. There is nothing wrong with this as Black Sabbath is considered the forefathers of the doom metal scene.

3. Ronnie James Dio sounds great. What is this guy? 60? 65? Who cares, he's still an amazing vocalist. He has definitely aged better than Ozzy Osbourne.

4. The second half starts to drag a little bit. "Eating the Cannibals" is the fastest song on the second half, but afterwards everything else kind of drags on.

5. This album was probably overhyped. I had huge expectations going in. This was the first new studio album by Black Sabbath (let's face it, that's who this is) since the forgettable Forbidden. I wouldn't say I am disappointed with the album, but it wasn't what I was hoping for. You see kids, you should never look forward to anything, you will just be disappointed.

NOTE: From this point on, I will try to do this with all new pickups.

No comments:

Post a Comment