Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 9: Sacred Reich: Independent

This is the last of the five tapes I picked up in the small store in my new city. I have known of Sacred Reich for a very long time. My first exposure to them came when they had a song playing on aTV in the movie Encino Man. I am not sure why I remember that, I didn't know much about metal at the time since I was only in 5th or 6th grade and the only metal I knew of at that time was Metallica, Megadeth, and Faith No More. Nevertheless it must have made an impression. The next time I heard about them was when they appeared on a Metal Blade compilation CD that I picked up in high school.

Sacred Reich was a bit of a latecomer to the thrash metal scene and were never really on the same level as some of the other bands. Sacred Reich was a politically charged band, although some of their ideas were not always well thought out. They had a sort of punk background as well which lead to a distinctive sound.

This album is their second to last full length. The band was basically going through the motions at this point in their career. Many of the songs sounded the same. The album opened very strong, but didn't really go anywhere after that. Sacred Reich did try to slow things down toward the end of the album with the semi-ballad "I Never Said Goodbye." Other than that, most of the songs stayed on the same level. It's just not a strong enough showing to be completely memorable. I enjoy this album, but probably not as much as I would have liked their earlier, angrier, fresher material.

No comments:

Post a Comment