Saturday, January 16, 2010

Weekly Recap January 10-16

I retitled the weekly post on my life. Why? Because I felt like it, that's why.

There really wasn't a whole lot of new metal stories this week. Abigail Williams dropped off the Nile/Immolation/Krisiun/Dreaming Dead tour. But it still doesn't come terribly close to here so I won't be seeing it regardless. Stupid Nebraska. God Forbid announced a new guitarist, the same one that has been filling in on tour. Kamelot and Leaves' Eyes announced a fall tour, also not to come anywhere near Nebraska but maybe I will try to get to that one anyway. My fiancee seems to like Kamelot. Some columnist on MTV's website called out several musicians about steroid use. The article was supposed to be humorous, but it's generally not a good idea to lie about people in print, particularly where it comes to malicious lies. It's called libel. And it's actionable.

A question was posed on a metal blog I frequent asking what the point of listening to modern power metal was and stated that it's just pop music with everything turned up. (http://invisibleoranges.com/2010/01/defend-indefensible-modern-power-metal.html). My response: modern power metal is catchy and is oftentimes the closest thing to traditional heavy metal. There's some annoying stuff out there, sure, but that's true of every genre. There's also some great stuff. Pharaoh, Twisted Tower Dire, Hibria, and others are great bands. Dismissing a genre entirely is not a great idea.

In the last two weeks, I have gotten albums from Kawir, Manowar, Slauter Xstroyes, Watchtower, Devastation, Militia, Metal Church, and Razor. Initial Impressions posts to come.

As for me, this week was incredibly busy. I had a trial on Monday for a speeding ticket. I generally do not like taking these to trial as they are a waste of time. Just for further knowledge, some of those websites that discuss how to get rid of a ticket, do not work in the courts. Don't waste your money, just pay the fucking fine. I was not happy taking that trial because the argument was stupid and I was sure it would not work. It didn't. I also had hearings on Wednesday, Thursday, and a settlement conference on Friday. I won a hearing on a Motion to Continue on Wednesday. That was pretty much the highlight of my work week.

In my personal life, not much new to report. My fiancee went back to school this week. I don't get to see her nearly as often anymore. Very sad.

List of albums heard this week:
Amon Amarth: Fate of Norns
Benediction: Transcend the Rubicon
Bleeding Through: The Truth
Celtic Frost: To Mega Therion
Cronos: Hell to the Unknown
Dark Tranquillity: Fiction
Dawn of Azazel: The Law of the Strong
Deceased...: As the Weird Travel On
Destruction: Release From Agony
Dimmu Borgir: Death Cult Armageddon
Dimmu Borgir: In Sorte Diaboli
Down: NOLA
Exodus: Bonded by Blood
Eyehategod: Dopesick
Halford: Crucible
Immortal: Battles in the North
Impiety: Formidonis Nex Cultus
In Flames: Reroute to Remain
In Flames: Soundtrack to Your Escape
In Flames: Trigger
Mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom. Sathanas
Mayhem: Ordo Ad Chao
Metal Church: Metal Church
Moonspell: The Butterfly Effect
Morbid Angel: Covenant
Nightwish: Once
Nocturnal Breed: Fields of Rot
Obituary: Frozen in TimePhazm: Hate at First Seed
Possessed: Seven Churches
Razor: Violent Restitution
Sanctity: The Road to Bloodshed
Satyricon: Nemesis Divina
Shadows Fall: The War Within
Swallow the Sun: The Morning Never Came
Tummler: Queen to Bishop VI
Unorthodox: Balance of Power
Vader: Live in Japan
Vanderhoof: Vanderhoof
Venom: Black Metal
Venom: Cast in Stone
Venom: Welcome to Hell
Willard: Steel Mill

1 comment:

  1. NINE new albums in two weeks!!!!! That would put me almost 0.5% closer to my horse!!!! Damnit!

    ReplyDelete