Monday, January 18, 2010

Response to Anonymous

I have been getting some comments lately. More and more people have started to discover this blog. Which is great and I encourage people to comment. I love seeing what people think of this because it started off as a way to simply amuse myself. My fiancee was the first to really begin visiting regularly. I have a couple other friends that visit frequently too.

That said, I wanted to make a public response to this comment from Anonymous on my Year in Review post. Here's the relevant portion.

I only ask that you re-explore the Nebraska metal scene a little bit. We really do have a fantastic scene, it's just spread a little thin across the state. I used to live in New Orleans, which as I'm sure you're aware has produced some pretty notable metal bands, and I've done a lot of traveling. However, since moving back here I've been amazed at how tightly-knit and diverse the metal scene is here, especially given how rural most of the state is.

Don't be afraid to go to local shows in the city nearest you, or to head to Lincoln or Omaha and see some underground shows. Not every band in this state is good, but there are some definite jewels -- Ezra (death metal from Lincoln), Deadechoes (also death metal from Lincoln), To The Grave (technical death from Lincoln, amazing and very young lead guitarist), Mortal Dezire (from Kearney, sadly now broken up, great live band) and Leave None Alive (melodic, thrashy death from North Platte, one of the best live shows I've ever seen).


I would love to explore the Nebraska metal scene more thoroughly. I am familiar with Mortal Dezire and even own their only album. It's pretty good. Unfortunately the band recently broke up. I am also familiar with Seppeku, Gravegouger, Catastrophic Massacre, Cellador, and a few other bands. I also met an individual with Electric Sky Entertainment, responsible for the Cornstock festival in Grand Island, NE through my practice. I have not had the pleasure of seeing many of these groups in concert or attending Cornstock however as the life of a lawyer two hours away from Omaha is not terribly conducive to going to many shows. It's unfortunate and I wish it could be a little different, but that's what I get for my career pursuit. If anybody knows of any other Nebraska bands, I would love to get a look at them.

The criticism is fair, I do wish I knew more about my state's scene. So, if anyone wants to talk to me and point me in a direction, I would be more than willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment