Friday, January 8, 2010

Depressing Songs

Unlike the earlier post on this blog dealing with love songs, this was pretty easy. There are a lot of depressing songs in metal. Metal is a genre of extremes. Usually these extremes are towards the wrong end of the emotional spectrum. Angry songs are extremely angry and sad songs are extremely sad. There is not a whole lot of happiness in metal. That's not to say it's impossible, it's just not very likely.

Here's some of the more depressing songs in metal:

Anthrax: Bare
When your clock is up
And you rest for good
I will cut off my armpiece
Just like we agreed we would

One must live while one must die

While the other argues that
The world ain't fair
But then who ever promised
Anybody equal share
You might as well forget
What you gambled on
'Cause plans never go by the way they're drawn

Black Sabbath: Changes
It took so long
To realize
That I can still hear
Her last goodbyes

Now all my days
Are filled with tears
Wish I could go back
And change these years

Blind Guardian: When Sorrow Sang
I feel like screaming
But I can't breath in
Shall I wane right now
I will not leave this
World of living
Till she has said
Goodbye

Out in the cold
I still wait for her call
And her last kiss
It shall be release
I can't forget her
Her face will not leave
From the depths of my soul
I long for her

Candlemass: Solitude
I'm sitting here alone in darkness
waiting to be free,
Lonely and forlorn I'm crying
I long for my time to come
death means just life
Please let me die in solitude

Dark Tranquillity: Emptier Still
Emptier still
As time takes us farther
Away from the goals
By which we are measured
I know that I should have stayed true
To you and to me
But time never heals
So here alone I stand

So tell me are you lonely
Tell me are you mine

Draconian: She Dies
Two souls entwined together,
Still so alone.
Both you and I are shattered
And frozen in stone.

You begged for air from within this cold tomb with pain sharp as a knife
I now lie resting like a child on thy womb, gave back a part of my life.

Dream Theater: Space-Dye Vest
There's no one to take my blame
if they wanted to
There's nothing to keep me sane
and it's all the same to you
There's nowhere to set my aim
so I'm everywhere
Never come near me again
do you really think I need you

I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.
I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.

And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend
And I'll never be open again
And I'll have no more dreams to defend
And I'll never be open again

Iced Earth: Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die
Look at the pain around me
This is what I cry for
Look at the pain around me
This is what I'll die for

Insomnium: Last Statement
I may be gone in the flesh
But my love will stay here
I am always with you in spirit
So just stay strong

No one wins tonight
No one gets a closure
No one walks away victorious

But don’t forget me
Don’t you forget me
Burn a candle for me when you can

Into Eternity: One Funeral Hymn for Three
One last song for three
Sang to you from beyond
Funeral hymn
The end has passed
I now see so much clearer
Funeral hymn

Kamelot: Love You to Death
When they met she was fifteen
Like a black rose blooming wild
And she already knew she was gonna die

"What's tomorrow without you?
This is our last goodbye"

She got weaker every day
As the autumn leaves flew by
Until one day, she told him, "This is when I die"

Machine Head: Deafening Silence
She looked right into my eyes and said to me
The hurt that you try to hide is killing me
You drink a thousand lies, to freeze the past in time

I’ve tried to fill this silence up
But now it’s back again

See the pain in my eyes
See the scars deep inside
My god, I’m down in this hole again
With the laughter I smile
With the tears that I cry
Keep going down this road called life

Megadeth: A Tout Le Monde
A tout le monde (To all the world)
A tous mes amis (To all my friends)
Je vous aime (I love you)
Je dois partir (I have to leave)
These are the last words
I'll ever speak
And they'll set me free

If my heart was still alive
I know it would surely break
And my memories left with you
There's nothing more to say

Pantera: Cemetary Gates
The reverend he turned to me
Without a tear in his eyes
It's nothing new for him to see
I didn't ask him why
I will remember
The love our souls had
Sworn to make
Now I watch the falling rain
All my mind can see
Now is your (face)

Well I guess
You took my youth
I gave it all away
Like the birth of a
New-found joy
This love would end in rage
And when she died
I couldn't cry
The pride within my soul
You left me incomplete
Memories now unfold.

Sonata Arctica: Tallulah
You let my hand go, and you fake a smile for me
I have a feeling you don't know what to do
I look deep in your eyes, hesitate a while...
Why are you crying?

Tallulah, It's easier to live alone than fear the time it's over
Tallulah, find the words and talk to me, oh, Tallulah,
This could be... heaven

Testament: Trail of Tears
Can you hear them call?

See the sun as it's setting still
Tears fall from a warrior
Damn those who I feel
Set a trail to the promised land
Mother and child holding hand in hand
Through the snow or through the sands

The Sins of Thy Beloved: Until the Dark
I see you here
with me but I fear the day
for you
hear my dear
I watch the land
and the window fallen down
I feel the pain
inside of me like a cloud
no one can save me
the time will come for my death
I think of you and wish me into an another live
I see you here with me
but I fear the day for you

Type O Negative: Red Water (Christmas Mourning)
Wake up, it's Christmas mourn
Those loved have long since gone
The stockings are hung, but who cares?
Reserved for those no longer there
Six feet beneath me sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment