Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Newest Trend in Metal?

The last couple of weeks, I have noticed something disturbing. Metal has been getting some interesting mainstream exposure. Sort of. Obviously we're not in any danger of 13 year old cheerleader-wannabes picking up the most recent Tsjuder album. For a couple of reasons. But, here's what I noticed lately:

1. Disney has created a show based on a fictional metal band. And it sounds fucking awful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_In_the_Band

Here's the plot synopsis from that wikipedia link: The show follows the story of Tripp Campbell, who joins the band he idolizes, Iron Weasel. Then, he sets out to help the band make a comeback.

So we have a 13 year old kid joining a metal band in a Disney show. The same Disney that has unleashed Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, The Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana and all those other carbon copy popstars. That's fucking fantastic. Excuse me while I wretch.

2. Sports stars are creating metal bands. I suppose I use both "sports" and "stars" loosely. I discovered this while walking around looking at new releases at the local music store tonight.

I was aware of Fozzy, the heavy metal band created by wrestler Chris Jericho. They're not absolutely godawful. Neither are they very good. But at least they're somewhat passable. Many of the musicians were in Stuck Mojo, a semi-passable band themselves.

Today, I noticed a new release by Free Reign. I shit you not the sticker on the CD case is trying to attract attention by announcing that three of these guys play football for the Dallas Cowboys: Marc Colombo, Cory Procter, and Leonard Davis. I've never heard of any of them. I checked these guys out, and they kind of suck. Sorry. It's definitely influenced by nu-metal groups like Papa Roach and their ilk. NFM. I desperately wanted this band to be some sort of ultra bad ass death metal band. Ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment