Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 41: Monsters of Rock Vol. 3: Molten Metal

I actually got this one before I got Vol. 3. If I had gotten Vol. 2 first, I probably never would have picked this one up. But, this one was significantly better.

KISS: "UNHOLY"
You wouldn't know that from the first track though. I have never been much of a Kiss fan. This is a better song by the group, but it's not exactly good. I always preferred the songs Gene Simmons sang on than those by Paul Stanley. Not sure why. NFM.

L.A. GUNS: "DIRTY LUV"
Blech. Another glam rock song. Just terrible. NFM.

MOTORHEAD: "I'M SO BAD (BABY I DON'T CARE)"
Ah, that's more like it. Yes, Motorhead has been releasing the same stuff over and over again, but when it rocks like this, it doesn't fucking matter. This is just Lemmy being Lemmy and it's great.

WHITE ZOMBIE: "BLACK SUNSHINE"
Amazing song from a great album. I already owned this album so not much more to add. This was always one of my favorites from White Zombie.

MUDHONEY: "SUCK YOU DRY"
NFM. Nevertheless, this is pretty decent grunge rock by one of the better bands from the genre. I grew up with grunge so it doesn't bother me much. This isn't bad, it's just not metal.

FLOTSAM & JETSAM: "THE MASTER SLEEPS"
Absolutely no complaints here. I really enjoy F&J and this was one of the first times I heard their particular brand of power/thrash metal. Great song, very fast and aggressive. I need to find the album on which this song appears.

FEAR FACTORY: "SCAPEGOAT"
This song is off of Fear Factory's first album on Roadrunner. It's much more death metal-inflected than their later material. It's a great song and I did pick up this album later on.

BIOHAZARD: "PUNISHMENT"
NFM. The hardcore band has had a major influence on metalcore and nu metal due to their frequent collaborations with rappers. I don't particularly care for Biohazard, but this song is okay.

AVERSION: "LET IT GO"
This song is fast. I have not heard anything more on this band for some reason, but I am definitely interested. This is easily my favorite song on the album but they're not a well-known band. Shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment