Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My 100 Favorite Metal Bands Pt. 84: Satyricon

Satyricon does not seem to get as much recognition as some of the early second wave Norwegian black metal bands. I could be wrong, but I do not see their name mentioned as often as Emperor, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immortal, or others, but Satyricon is every bit as worthy. I actually like Satyricon's early material better than a lot of the material by some of those other bands. They had a unique take on the genre and were more than just an extreme metal band. Their later material is still impressive, despite being much more in the black 'n roll style. No matter when you can produce music as catchy and impressive as that.

FAVORITE ALBUM: DARK MEDIEVAL TIMES

2 comments:

  1. Satyricon was some of the first Norwegian black metal I ever really heard, though my intro to them came via their newer black'n'roll stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nemesis Divina was the first old-school black metal album I ever heard (I had listened to Satyricon's later stuff first, and loved it). At first I had no idea what to make of it, but later it became my favorite album in the style.

    ReplyDelete