Monday, May 30, 2011

Initial Impressions: Psycho: Pain Addict Pigs

Singapore is not a country with a real rich metal scene, other than the very impressive Impiety. Well, now add Psycho to that list. I first heard about the band from a review in Decibel that described them as a horror metal band, which is not really a thing. At any rate, when I ordered my Satan's Host album direct from Moribund Cult, I felt like adding something to it, so I decided to go for this one as well. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Despite forming in 2005, this is the band's first ever release. The music is a little crude and raw, but that could also be intentional. This is not meant to be pretty music to begin with. Decibel is right that the band is clearly influenced by horror movies. The band includes quite a few samples from low-budget cult horror movies such as "The Wizard of Gore", which probably is not exactly the biggest selling point. Impetigo also sampled from that particular movie.

No, the real selling point is that Psycho, for being such a young band, really knows what they want to accomplish with their music and they do just that. This is absolutely filthy death metal with an old school flare, with no real melodic attempts. This is just completely raw. The lyrics certainly reference horror movies and even tell some tales of their own, and the music is designed to provide the atmosphere for the often grotesque and macabre lyrics.

Psycho has a bright future. I am looking forward to seeing where this band goes from here.

EDIT: Apparently, you see the name "Penny Torture" and the pics from the liner notes with a woman standing between four men, and you think that must be Penny. Apparently not. I apologize for the confusion.

4 comments:

  1. I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back (sadly I think it was on a MetalSucks article about women in metal) that Penny is actually a dude. Surprisingly so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the review Metallattorney.. we appreciate the thoughts!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much. I always appreciate comments from band members about their reviews.

    ReplyDelete