Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Reader Requested Post: Dethklok

I recently requested reader recommendations for posts. I got a decent-sized response and I will try to get to most of them. Just bear with me. I will start off with one that I have considered for a little while. This is a request from Kelly from Full Metal Attorney

Ah yes, Dethklok. For the uninitiated, Dethklok is the cartoon band in the Adult Swim show Metalocalypse. God, I hope I spelled that correctly. I am by no means a fan of the show, but I have seen it on several occasions. I am also well aware of the backlash against the show and, in particular, the fact that Dethklok has released two actual albums. The show was created by Brendon Small, who was also the creator of the show Home Movies, also on Adult Swim.

The show is meant as a parody of heavy metal. I think that's where a lot of metalheads get upset. It's lampooning their genre and then has the gall to release albums that people actually buy. But the fact is, Small is very clearly a fan of heavy metal. He also plays most of the instruments and sings on the albums. Gene Hoglan of Forbidden and several other bands does supply the drums. While the humor is obviously silly and violent, there are several metal in-jokes. From the fictional members vaguely resembling actual metal musicians, cameo appearances from the likes of Kirk Hammett, King Diamond, Ihsahn, and others, to the use of names like Crystal Mountain Records and Dimmu Burger, it's clear Small knows what he's doing.

The show is a lot like This is Spinal Tap, in that it is poking fun at metal and the stereotypes of metalheads. There really is nothing wrong with this if it is done well. I guess that's the issue though. A lot of people believe This is Spinal Tap was done well. Metalocalypse has not reached that level of acceptance.

As for the music, I am only vaguely familiar with a couple of songs. It seems to be mostly bland, but competent melodic death metal. The riffs are not mind-blowing, or really all that memorable, but Small does a decent enough job. The vocals are typically delivered in a deep, guttural grunt and are sometimes difficult to make out. It's inoffensive and safe music. The lyrics aren't obviously. Maybe if the music were better, metalheads would like it more. I don't know.

Dethklok doesn't really have all that much affect on me. I can see some of the humor, but I don't watch the show often enough to be interested in it all that much. Some people are offended because they believe that the show will cause people to look down on metalheads. Time to wake up, they already do. They don't need a cartoon to have a bad impression of us. Ultimately, if the show brings in some younger people into the world of real metal, then Brendon Small has done his job.

3 comments:

  1. No, the show is NOT a parody of metal. As you said, both Brendon Small and Tommy Blacha, the co-creators of the show, are metal fans. They are both comedians and would go to metal show together.

    What both Brendon and Tommy have said the show is about is as a commentary on how we treat celebrities. Making idols of them for doing nothing or next to nothing. They have both said that it was not aimed at metal and metalheads at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't dispute whether they made those statements. I don't have much interest in the show, certainly not enough to have read reviews with the creators. But you can't possibly dispute the fact that there are some elements that are poking fun at metal? Otherwise, why choose a metal band? I can see your argument, but again, I don't have that much exposure to the show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post.

    If it's poking fun at metal, it's in the same way Family Guy and Robot Chicken poke fun at Star Wars--they love it and they can laugh at things they love.

    Personally, I think it's hilarious. And the music is good too (not great, but good). Songs like "Bloodrocution" and "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence" crack me up.

    I also think the premise is quite clever. It's a death metal band which is the most popular entertainment source in the world (a sign of the Apocalypse in itself) and they are unwitting harbingers of the Apocalypse.

    I think it IS done well--and I think people like King Diamond, Devin Townsend, and ICS Vortex agree with me.

    ReplyDelete