Saturday, October 16, 2010

Compilations: Metal Maniacs November 2008

ENSLAVED: "THE WATCHER"
Well I am a huge Enslaved fan and have all of the albums they have released in about the last decade, so of course I already own this one. Good song, better album.

RONNIE JAMES DIO, TONY IOMMI, RUDY SARZO, AND SIMON WRIGHT: "GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN"
Yes, this is a Christmas song. Yes it's a little odd to have a doom metal treatment to a Christmas song. Still, it sounds great. Stranger stuff has happened I suppose. I'm sure the Westboro Baptist Church would have a field day with this.

THE HAUNTED: "MORONIC COLOSSUS"
I already own this album by the Swedish thrash metal outfit. This is the best song on the entire album. The rest of it is good, but not great. That's kind of how I feel about The Haunted in general actually. This is the Editor's Pick.

AQUEFRIGIDE: "DETESTO"
Just a guess, but these guys may not be American. It's also hardcore. No thanks.

RABBIT JUNK: "GHETTO BLASPHEMER"
Terrible band name. Worse song name. The song also really sucks and grates on my ears. Pass. I don't even want to describe it.

PHOENIX REIGN: "RUN NOW"
Traditional heavy metal with a female lead singer and a somewhatMiddle-Eastern sounding opening riff. This kind of reminds me of Temtris. It's pretty decent actually. I would want to hear more from them.

CELLPAN: "DUCT-TAPED MOUTH"
Awful nu-metal sounding shit. I thought nu metal died? At least it's short.

DEGRADATION: "DISILLUSION"
This is thrash metal. This, I actually enjoy. It sounds like they're heavily influenced by Slayer, utilizing the same harsh yell that Tom Araya uses. Good stuff.

FIMBULVETR: "BROTHERS INTO BATTLE"
Not to be confused with Fimbulvinter I suppose. It's impressive folk-inspired death metal. I may have to check these guys out, this is great.

CYNIC: "INTEGRAL BIRTH"
The technical, progressive death metal band returned with a sound that is decidedly less death metal, but still amazing. This is a great song, off a great album, which I already own.

THE VENGEFUL FEW: "MADHOUSE"
Excellent traditional metal with a singer who sounds a lot like Rob Halford. Once again, great song. I definitely need to hear more from these guys.

IRONSWORD: "CIMMERIA"
More traditional/power metal. This comp is full of this stuff. Once again, another great song. Huskier vocals and heavy riffs make this a very interesting track. I have heard of Ironsword before, but now I will have to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment