Saturday, March 20, 2010

Side Project Post Edit

My fiancee asked me today why I did not include Trans-Siberian Orchestra in my list of favorite metal side projects. TSO did start after all as a side project for members of Savatage. Well I think TSO has transcended side project status at this point. TSO is a much more well-known entity than Savatage at this point, and have been for quite some time. Many people have no idea of the origin of that band, they just assume that TSO is some elaborate Christmas project. In addition Savatage has not been nearly as active in recent years since TSO has taken up much of the members' time. The band has not released an album since 2001. Savatage singer and TSO composer Jon Oliva has even gone on to create a new metal project called Jon Oliva's Pain, which has released four albums and an EP since the last Savatage album. Therefore, at this point, I believe it safe to say that TSO is itself a full time project, although did not start out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment