Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pop Matters Top 20 of 2009

So here's another one. I have never heard of this site before but looking at it when examining their list leads me to believe this is a general pop culture website. Duh, from the name of the site. I probably should have seen that one coming, huh?

Anyway, I had my doubts about this one, expecting mainstream acts. I was pleasantly surprised. It's not great, I do disagree with a lot of it, but there's some decent stuff on here.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/116964-the-best-metal-albums-of-2009/P0/

20. Revocation: Existence is Futile
19. Cannibal Corpse: Evisceration Plague
18. Krallice: Dimensional Breakthrough
17. Marduk: Wormblood
16. Liturgy: Renihilation
15. Nile: Those Whom the Gods Detest
14. Between the Buried and Me: The Great Misdirect
13. Mastodon: Crack the Skye
12. Slayer: World Painted Blood
11. YOB: The Great Cessation
10. Funeral Mist: Maranatha
9. Isis: Wavering Radiant
8. Amesoeurs: Amesoeurs
7. Sunn O))): Monoliths and Dimensions
6. Goatwhore: Carving Out the Eyes of God
5. Kylesa: Static Tensions
4. Baroness: Blue Record
3. Converge: Axe to Fall
2. Katatonia: Night is the New Day
1. Cobalt: Gin

Again, this is not a list I agree with 100% but it's not bad. There's a lot of hipsterish stuff on it (Sunn O))), Kylesa, Converge, Mastodon, Isis, Amesoeurs, etc.). I do like the inclusions of groups like Goatwhore, Revocation, Nile, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, and Marduk. Goatwhore will definitely be in my Top 10. I haven't determined anything else yet.

My list will be ready shortly, probably closer to the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment