Saturday, December 19, 2009

MSN Top 100 Metal Albums of the Decade

There's something about the end of the year/decade that brings out the listmaker in people. I should know, I do it too. But whereas my taste in music is unimpeachable, other people put together horrible lists of bad music. Which brings us to MSN, and if there is any other source that has more expertise in metal than MSN, I don't wanna know about it. Or maybe I do, I dunno, whichever choice is funnier.

So, MSN put together this list and there are some pretty decent choices here, some weird choices, typical choices, and awful ones. I won't go through the whole list because there's 100 albums, but let's put them into nifty categories:

WEIRD CHOICES
-Annihilation Time
-Intronaut
-Spawn of Possession
-Megadeth: Endgame: This one is brand new. I don't think it's good enough to make this kind of list, so this is odd.
-Dragon Force
-Obscura
-Brain Drill
-The Sword

STANDARD CHOICES
-Slayer
-Gojira
-Pantera
-Isis
-Meshuggah
-Mastodon: Leviathan (the #1 album, no big surprise here)
-Metallica

GOOD CHOICES
-Wolf
-Bolt Thrower
-Prostitue Disfigurement
-Strapping Young Lad
-Confessor
-Behemoth
-Psycroptic
-Lair of the Minotaur
-The Gates of Slumber

BAD CHOICES
-Dir En Grey
-Blessed by a Broken Heart: Awful band blending metalcore and hair metal into one horrible mess.
-Sunn O)))
-Slipknot: duh
-Job for a Cowboy
-Rob Zombie: Educated Horses: This was the album that caused me to stop listening to Rob Zombie, also NFM.
-Rammstein
-Deftones (sigh, why is it that every metal writer loves this damn album?)

This is the best such list I have seen so far, other than mine. There's a lot of bands that have not appeared on these types of lists on this one. There are a few of the choices I can't stand such as Sunn O))), Deftones, and Isis, but it is made up for by the unusual choices. Not bad, still not as good as mine though.

No comments:

Post a Comment