Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Initial Impressions: Condemned: Realms of the Ungodly


It was the absolutely awesome cover art that pulled me in on this one.  I have a soft spot for hellish landscapes I suppose and the demonic entity in the center is pretty wicked looking as well.  Condemned features the drummer and singer from slam stalwarts Cephalotripsy, so I felt pretty safe checking this one out.

Condemned is a brutal death/slam death metal band with a hauntingly evil atmosphere and some impressive technical elements.  Condemned sound like a blend between Defeated Sanity and Suffocation with vocals similar to early Dying Fetus.  There is not a lot of originality in the riffwork, if you have heard any of the bands that I named then you pretty much know what to expect.  There are faster riffs and of course the slam parts.  Condemned is not really breaking any new ground here.

The vocalist is the most impressive.  With deep, gurgling vocals similar to Dying Fetus and Demilich, he has a truly extreme style.

As I said, Condemned is not reinventing the wheel here, but the dark and evil atmosphere makes things very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment