Saturday, March 12, 2011

Random Thoughts: Promo Discs

When I was unpacking some things recently, I came across a couple of promo discs from Century Media. One was for Dimmu Borgir's In Sorte Diaboli, and features two of the tracks from the album. But, the songs fade out at the end instead of being complete songs. The other is two tracks each from Exodus's The Atrocity Exhibition-Exhibit A and Soilwork's Sworn to the Great Divide. I don't recall listening to this much at all.

I was wondering, what is the point of these? I have never seen promos in stores. Maybe I am not going to the right stores I suppose. I have occasionally gotten one attached to some other CD, but that's pretty rare. I have only really gotten them when I placed an order with a label. Even then, typically I will get a compilation, not a promo with two tracks on it. I just don't really understand the point of making a CD with two songs on it as a promo and then not having a way to get it out to people. Maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment