Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Metal History Pt. 4: Lost Relics

It has occurred to me recently that despite my packrat nature, many of the relics of my metal past have gone missing, most likely forever. This makes me somewhat sad that I will never see some of these items again, one in particular. Here is a list of four such items, in order of least important to most important.

4. Metal Hammer magazine from 2000.
I am not a huge fan of Metal Hammer and this issue was not really great except for one major thing: it pretty much helped me find out some of my current favorite bands. Although Slipknot was on the cover of this issue, it featured reviews and interviews with several bands who have recently become favorites: bands like Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, Cradle of Filth, Emperor, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, and many more. I may not have checked all of those bands out immediately, but eventually I did. I would love to revisit that issue and see what I missed out on.

3. Metal Maniacs magazine from 1996.
This was a bigger deal as the issue really opened up my eyes to the international metal scene. I mentioned this in a previous blog. It featured information about many bands that I would later come to love: Kreator, Trouble, Helloween, Eyehategod, Edge of Sanity, Pan.Thy.Monium and others were all in that issue.

2. Sepultura Territory t-shirt.
This was my first band shirt. I still have no idea what happened to it. One day I just could not find it. It would never turn up. I bought the shirt in Canada on a workcamp trip (weird huh?) just before starting high school. One day, some asshole cornered me against a locker with a friend and told me I was not cool enough to wear a Sepultura t-shirt, to which I laughed at him and went on my way. Nevertheless, it pissed me off enough that I remember it pretty well. That guy eventually got his girlfriend pregnant, in his junior year of high school and went on the wear Soulfly hockey jerseys. Loser.

1. Testament: The Gathering autographed poster.
Again, it's a mystery. This thing just disappeared, which is heartbreaking. Testament was one of my favorite bands in high school. They played a show in Lincoln one weekend, but it was a 19 and over show. I was 18 at the time. They did go do a signing at the local music store which my friend heard about. We went over there and each bought copies of the new CD and a poster for them to sign. I remember the bass player liked my necklace (which I bought at Hot Topic when the trendy thing was the gothic look). They said they didn't think it made sense to make the show 19 and over and apologized that we couldn't go.

I have a bunch of random stuff all over the house right now: posters, patches, pins, that I need to get together and put away so nothing else gets inadvertently thrown away.

No comments:

Post a Comment