Friday, February 13, 2009

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 1: Motley Crue: Dr. Feelgood

I used to get all of my music on cassette. It's true, they still sold cassettes when I was getting into heavy metal. Once in awhile, I like to dig into my tape collection and listen to some stuff that I liked when I was first getting into the music. Motley Crue is definitely not one of my favorite bands. This tape was handed down to me from my older brother who always said that one day I would grow out of the music. Here I am, in my late 20's still listening, and my tastes have actually gotten more extreme.

Back to Motley Crue. Most of the so-called "hair metal" or "glam metal" bands were not actually metal. Motley Crue for parts of their existence were an exception. Their early years, they were definitely a metal band, and on this album, there are several metal songs, making it predominantly a metal album. Of course "Dr. Feelgood" is a classic barn-burner of a song, revving up the Crue's engines for the rest of the album. And then of course, it gets into the sleaze. Several songs are typically sex-charged. Motley Crue has never been known for it's subtlety as shown in songs such as "Slice of Your Pie", "Rattlesnake Shake", "Sticky Sweet", and "She Goes Down". There are also the requisite power ballads for a "hair metal" band "Without You" and "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)". Overall, pretty standard fare for this type of band and this time period.
P.S. I haven't figured out how to do umlauts, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment