Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Ripper: Sensory Stagnation (2019)

Last October I covered the 2016 album from Chilean thrashers Ripper, Experiment of Existence.  I was blown away by that album and so when the opportunity to pick up their 2019 EP arose, I jumped on it. 

On my first listen to this album, I recall being somewhat disappointed with it.  It did not have quite the same raw savagery that the previous album I heard had.  But repeated listens led to me discovering more and more about the EP and falling for it.  It is different than the prior release I heard, but that is not such a bad thing.

The primary thing I noticed is that there is a bit more technicality to this album.  That is especially obvious in the rather impressive bass parts which bear a strong resemblance to such tech thrash luminaries like Heathen and Atheist.  But the guitar riffs seem pulled straight from the Kreator catalog, fast and intense.  The vocals too have that Mille Petrozza snarl to them.  The result is a release that blends aspects of German thrash, South American death and American technical thrash.  That is quite the mix.

As I said, this release did not jump out at me on the first listen, but repeated listens have my attention.  I still do not think I like it quite as much as the previous album, but it is damn good in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment