Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Impiety/Infernal Execrator: Dusthall Desecrators (Live Penang 2015) (2016)

This split is between two bands from Singapore, of all places.  Impiety is a band I am well familiar with and they made my top 100 bands list.  I had not heard of Infernal Execrator before.  As could be gleaned from the split's title, this is a live release, the bands performed a show together.  I am guessing Impiety was the headliner, even though they appear first on the split.

Most of the Impiety tracks appear on albums that I own, so I already know how I feel about the song choice.  The sound is fairly impressive for an underground live release.  If there is an issue it is that the music is slightly muffled when compared to the vocals.  The vocals are very high in the mix and Shyaithan sounds a little rough, but it works with the music well.  Impiety is likely a damn good live act, they sound just as punishing and brutal as they do on their albums.  Someday, maybe I will get to see them live.

The Infernal Execrator side is plagued by some of the same sound issues.  The drums and vocals are high in the mix, with the riffs being somewhat muffled.  In general, this band's songs are generally shorter and, if possible, more intense.  That being said, the brutality is kind of the key to this band without much in the way of subtlety, not that there is much in either band in reality. 

The winner of the split is probably Impiety, but it is a lot closer than I expected it to be.  Infernal Execrator impressed me honestly.  I just like Impiety a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment