Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Ripper: Experiment of Existence (2016)

I have explained my affinity for extreme metal from South America several times here.  I think it bears repeating.  For some reason, there is just some terrific thrash, black and death metal coming from South America.  Whether that be due to the political climate down there, I am not sure.  I am sure there is someone out there more qualified than me to figure that out.  There is though more of a savage intensity in the music. 

Chile is not a country that has produced a lot of metal bands to my knowledge.  Thornafire and Apostacy have gotten my attention in the past.  And now, a third band has entered the mix.  This is Ripper, a thrash/death metal band from Talagante.

This album is terrific.  Ripper take influence in some of the biggest names in German thrash, Bay Area thrash, early U.S. death metal and Swedish death metal, throw them all into a blender and have unleashed the results in the studio.  There are some damn great riffs in this and the vocals call to mind the early material by Possessed.  Solos shine through, giving some impressive melody.  And the bass is fucking awesome.  The songs are all fast-paced and powerful, with a barrage of riffs. 

Ripper is a band that more people should know about.  This is absolutely killer death/thrash that holds up well to the classics in the genres.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment