Monday, April 20, 2020

Μνήμα: Gathering Sorcery to the Eternal Portals of the Past (2018)

This EP was released a month before the demo that I reviewed yesterday, but the sound is something of a mix between both.  It is sort of odd that the song structures in each of these releases is vastly different.  This is the earliest release and there are two songs, of a length of about five minutes each.  The next release in time had just one song, over eleven minutes long.  And then the most recent release had four songs, none of which touched four minutes in length.

As might be expected by now, the production value is not great.  The sound is very muffled, which is sort of a shame because I think the riffs are probably among the best I have heard from this band.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that with a halfway decent (not even decent, I know how these super underground black metal projects are) production, this would easily be the best of the three releases I have reviewed by this band.  I really like these two songs.

The vocals are still not anything to write home about.  I am not sure there are lyrics, it is more like tortured wailing and shrieking.  The guitars are doing some interesting things.  The drums still do not do a whole lot, but they do not sound bad either.  I still have no idea if there is a bass.

So, with these three releases now done, what is my impression of Μνήμα?  Well, it is kind of hard to tell.  As I said, each release sounds vastly different.  This one and Forbidden Creatures of Time are significantly better than the other one.  I am not sure whether I will be continuing to check in on Μνήμα in the future or not.  I suppose just to hear whether they have changed much would be possible.  I certainly would not discount it.

No comments:

Post a Comment