Friday, September 6, 2019

Howls of Ebb: Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows (2016)

No, I do not have a clue what the hell that title is all about.  I feel like there should have been required reading before picking up this album.  A google search for "pendlomic vows" only turns up stuff about this album.  So, no clue what is going on here.  What I do know is that the album cover is awesome and that was enough to convince me to give it a chance.

This album is creepy as fuck and almost indescribable.  I suppose it probably falls within the umbrella of blackened death metal, but that description is a massive oversimplification.  Howls of Ebb is much more experimental, to the point that it is difficult to tell if these songs were written or were improvised by members on some heavy hallucinogenic substances and/or the influence of dark forces the likes of which we cannot begin to comprehend.  There is some clear influence from such bizarre-sounding bands like Ulcerate, Portal and Ordo ad Chao-era Mayhem, but that too fails to truly capture the very unique and absolutely terrifying sound that Howls of Ebb have crafted.  I cannot even begin to describe the way the band sounds, it is just so unsettling.  There is no real structure to the songs, oftentimes the instruments are playing wholly disparate musical ideas.  The "lyrics" too seem out of place and do not hardly sound like real words.

Think of what the soundtrack to your worst nightmare is.  This is worse.  This is truly nightmarish music.  It captures perfectly what it would sound like to be pursued by some otherworldly eldritch monstrosity.  If this was playing in a dark room at night, I doubt anyone would ever fall asleep again.

This is one of the creepiest albums I have ever heard.  It is absolutely worth listening to.  The more I listen to it, the more I hear.  It really is an album that has to be experienced listening to headphones to truly capture all of the crazy shit that is happening.  It is a grower and sounds better each time I listen to it.  I have not gotten up the courage to listen to it in the dark though.


No comments:

Post a Comment