Monday, July 15, 2019

Ripped: Easter Island (1992)

Ripped congealed in the same Ohio cesspool that produced the likes of Embalmer and Necrophagia.  The band straddled the line between thrash and death metal and began incorporating more progressive influences as thrash was fading into obscurity.  This is a very short little EP that was released between the band's only two full-length albums, and judging from the cover, is not to be taken too seriously.  It was released on Wild Rags which had something of a controversial history as a label.

This EP consists of just five tracks, none of which make it to three minutes in length, and only three of which are actually songs.  The songs are definitely weird, with spastic riff changes and the psychotic barking vocals of singer Rick Fisher.  The band proves adept at changing speeds and time signatures.  The bass is particularly intriguing, not content to simply provide rhythm, it is playing something of a funk-inspired throbbing bass line.  Beyond that, there is some truly bizarre stuff happening with the guitar solo on "Happy Trails".  The whole album is something of a mind-bender.

This one has been something of a grower for me.  I really did not like it much at all the first time I heard it.  It is kind of jarring, off-kilter and abrasive.  There is definitely nothing melodic or pretty here, not that I expected as much, but the EP struck me as too much weird for weirdness sake.  Repeated listens have uncovered some intriguing rhythmic talent in the band members.  I still would not recommend this to just anyone and I am still not totally sure I like it all that well, but there is some interesting stuff happening and I definitely do not dislike it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment