Thursday, July 18, 2019

Ironborne: Hellion Battalion (2019)

I'm almost positive that "Ironborne" is a Game of Thrones reference.  I could be wrong, but as I recall that's what men from Pyke, led by the Greyjoys called themselves.  That would not be shocking for a band to adopt that name.  It sounds metal as fuck.

Ironborne, the band, is a decent heavy metal band from Northern Ireland who now has two demos to their name.  Their first one was released a couple of years ago and featured a Thor cover.  This one is real damn short, consisting of just two songs.

The first song is the title track and is a rollicking four minute track with some damn catchy choruses about unchaining the wolves of the night.  It's kind of cheesy but damn is it fun.  The second track "Stormchild" is shorter and not quite as good.  I like the chorus but a lot of the rest of it reminds me of some of KISS's heavier material, with the vocalist in particular sounding like Paul Stanley at times.  Maybe that's just me.  It is still decent enough and fits in well with the other song, but it is just a tad weaker.

I quite like this demo overall.  I am anxious to see what Ironborne can do on a full-length.

No comments:

Post a Comment