Sunday, July 21, 2019

Behemoth: Messe Noire (2018)

As a general rule, I am not a huge fan of live albums.  I would much rather actually see the band live.  I do make exceptions from time to time, but usually with bands I am already a big fan of, a group that I want to check out but live albums are the only available option, or with groups I know it is unlikely I will ever get to see live.  This album falls into the first category.  And in fact, I might get the opportunity to see Behemoth live in September.  We will see.

This is an abbreviated version of the album unfortunately.  My version is about half as long as the full release and, since it is just an audio recording, I do not get the full effect of the stage show.  This is a recording of the band performing in Warsaw in support of their The Satanist album, which is an absolutely incredible album, and one of my favorite Behemoth albums ever.  Behemoth performed the entire album, interspersed with classic tracks.  This abbreviated release still has the entire album The Satanist on it, it mostly cut out some of the classic tracks.

The sound quality is impressive, and it would appear that Behemoth puts on a very powerful live show.  It is almost difficult to tell it is a live album as there is minimal crowd noise and the band really does sound like they are do on the recording.  Nergal occasionally yells something to pump up the crowd, but that is usually the only time it is obvious this is a live album.  In addition, there does tend to be a lot more raw emotion present during particularly up-tempo portions of the songs, particularly in the chorus section of "Ora pro Nobis Lucifer".  The big highlight in my eyes though is the closer "Slaves Shall Serve", which is one of the band's most energetic and evil-sounding songs.  It comes across incredibly imposing live.

I am quite glad I picked this one up.  I look forward to seeing Behemoth live, this release has really gotten me intrigued as to what the band sounds like.  Unfortunately, their performance is as support for Slipknot, a band I am not looking forward to seeing live.  Maybe I'll skip out early, after Behemoth is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment