Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Initial Impressions: Gojira: L'Enfant Sauvage


I was a big fan of Gojira's album From Mars to Sirius, but for some reason I just never checked out The Way of All Flesh.  I have no idea why that is.  I never heard anything that dissuaded me from checking it out.  I certainly liked the band previously.  I guess I just missed it.  Well that did not happen again.  I have been eagerly anticipating Gojira's fifth album this year and picked it up just as soon as I saw it.  I am very late in getting this review up mostly due to being busy this summer.

I am very glad I did, because this album is phenomenal.  I honestly think it is a contender for my Album of the Year.

Gojira still do what they have always done so well.  They are monolithically heavy with bass-driven riffs and harshly shouted vocals.  Gojira is a very rhythmic band.  Many of the guitar riffs are almost percussive in sound.  There is not usually a lot of melody, though that is not to say that there is none to be found.  More than anything, Gojira just beats their listeners into submission with a constant wall of riffs.

Gojira is a little more bleak this time around.  On past albums there has always been a brightness shining through their music.  Sort of a ray of sunshine.  This time, the band is as depressive as possible.  Gojira has always been known for their environmentally-conscious lyrics.  This time it is as if the band has given up.  The world is coming to an end in the eyes of Gojira.

This is a terrific album, but it's definitely not uplifting in any way, shape, or form.  Best to listen to this on a cloudy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment