Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Yahoo's Ten Worst Heavy Metal Albums of All Time

This list was on the front page of Yahoo.com yesterday. Most of it is not too bad, but there's some pretty egregious stuff here.

Let's take a closer look:

10. Kiss: Music from The Elder
I honestly am not aware of what this is. Apparently Kiss created a concept album at one point. I am not a big Kiss fan, so I have no idea.

9. Def Leppard: Slang
Again, not a big Def Leppard fan, so this really does not ring a bell with me.

8. Motley Crue: Motley Crue
Actually, I find this one to be somewhat underrated. I get the implication here, that since Vince Neil was gone for this album that it should not exist. But this actually featured some of the heaviest material Motley Crue put out in years. And John Corabi was not that bad of a vocalist, he was just different than fans were used to.

7. Black Sabbath: Never Say Die
Yeah, I kind of agree here. At this point, it was clear that something had to change in order for Black Sabbath to regain their past glory. That something was booting Ozzy and bringing in Dio.

6. Raven: The Pack is Back
I am not familiar with this one. Kind of an odd one stuck in the middle here as a lot of people probably do not know who Raven is. I like their Wiped Out album though.

5. Iron Maiden: Fear of the Dark
I absolutely do not agree with this pick. This was my first Iron Maiden album and the title track and "Be Quick or be Dead" are both classics. It may not have been on the same level as their earlier material, but it is definitely not "Worst of All Time"-worthy. Just look at their next two albums for evidence of bad Iron Maiden albums.

4. Twisted Sister: Come Out and Play
Again, not really familiar.

3. Ozzy Osbourne: Bark at the Moon
Oh, come on. Ozzy has put out lots of bad albums. Everything after No More Tears is pretty bad on some level. This is actually a pretty decent one. Yes the sound was a little different. It had to be as no guitar player was going to replace Randy Rhoads, but this one is a pretty good album.

2. Guns 'n Roses: Chinese Democracy
Believe it or not I have never heard anything off of this. I just had no interest by the time it was released.

1. Metallica: Load, Reload, St. Anger
What an uninspired way to round out this list. Yes they were all bad albums on some degree or other, but how about picking just one? My worst? Load. There, see how easy that was?

2 comments:

  1. From that top pick, it sounds like the entire list was really just designed as a way to slam new Metallica. And like you said, that's pretty boring and uninspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like FotD and BatM. They're not my favorites from those bands, but like you said, they've done worse. Technical Ecstasy is worse than NSD! I also disagree with the top pick, since there are a few things I like on each of those albums. I have no opinion on the other picks, because I don't know and/or I hate all of those bands. I'm inclined to believe those choices.

    ReplyDelete