Thursday, July 29, 2010

Year in Metal: 1981

Inspired by this post from Full Metal Attorney, I decided to do something a little different and look at three of my favorite albums from each year I have been alive.

I'm starting with 1981 because that was the year I was born. Metal was not nearly as widespread at the time. Black Sabbath had already come and Ozzy was already out on his own. The New Wave of British Heavy Metal was in full force, but there was little development as far as thrash and other genres go. It was mostly traditional-sounding heavy metal.

I had some difficulty coming up with any choices as I only own three albums that were released in 1981, I know it's pathetic. So here we go anyway.

OZZY OSBOURNE: DIARY OF A MADMANThis is actually my favorite Ozzy album. I think it's strong the whole way through. It's also the last album with the great Randy Rhoads on guitar before he died in a plane stunt. Rhoads was an amazing classically-trained guitarist and those influences were always evident in his soloing style. Ozzy's voice is exceptionally strong on this album. The best tracks are "Over the Mountain", "S.A.T.O.", and the title track although I strongly enjoy every song on it, something of a rarity for Ozzy albums.

RIOT: FIRE DOWN UNDEREssentially, Riot was the U.S.'s answer to the NWOBHM. The music sounds very similar to the style of metal released in the U.K. at the time, in particular sounding like Raven, with some Judas Priest elements also present. The music is fairly good early metal and had an influence on the later U.S. power metal scene. All the songs are very catchy and the album sticks with the listener long after it is over.

VENOM: WELCOME TO HELLThe great, if mostly unhinged, Venom had a huge influence on thrash metal early on. Venom was one of the fastest bands on the planet back in 1981. They released their debut album, which consisted of several very fast, but charmingly sloppy songs, in 1981. It was loud, noisy, and fast as hell. Venom was also an early band focused on outwardly evil lyrics, such as "Sons of Satan", "Witching Hour", and "In League with Satan". The band is often cited as a proto-black metal band, and I suppose I can see that. They were certainly influential.

Honorable mentions: Black Sabbath: Mob Rules, Iron Maiden: Killers, Judas Priest: Point of Entry, Motley Crue: Too Fast for Love, Saxon: Denim and Leather

Bands that formed in 1981 include Anthrax, Dark Angel, Metallica, Motley Crue, Pantera, Queensryche, and Slayer.

3 comments:

  1. WTF is that on the Riot cover? Seriously, W. T. F. ? Is that a dude with a baby arctic seal's face? WTF? I can't get over this. And I always thought Ozzy looked kind of like a fruitcake in his early solo days.

    I'm glad the rest of the world decided to go in Venom's direction for the style of metal.

    I'll have to look at my iTunes to figure out what other albums I have from 1981, but I have Welcome to Hell, Diary of a Madman, and Mob Rules, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, I still can't get over that. WTF?

    Those are the only three albums I have from 1981. I thought I might have more. I don't do much better for the next few years, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand it either. It reappears on a few other releases from Riot too, including looking like a sumo wrestler on Naruta.

    I agree on the comment on Ozzy. He was also a little pudgy back then which is kind of weird looking at now.

    ReplyDelete