Thursday, July 15, 2010

Initial Impressions: Teitanblood: Seven Challices

Alright, this is what I love. I am a huge fan of dirty, raw, occult death metal. Teitanblood is all of these things, plus some twisted black metal elements. Just look at that album cover. Some kind of Lovecraftian horror erupting from the ground. Yep, that's a pretty accurate description of Teitanblood's sound as well.

I have seen this band's name thrown around for awhile whenever metalheads talk about good new death metal/black metal bands. So, I figured why not give them a shot? I liked Blaspherian and several other bands that were mentioned in the same breath. If it's possible, I think I like this more.

The album starts off on a sinister note with the instrumental "Whore Mass". It quickly jumps into creepy atmospherics for awhile until the first riff leads into the first real song, "Domains of Darkness and Ancient Evil". From that point on, Teitanblood never relents, bringing crushing riff after crushing riff. The riffs sound foetid and sick and the vocals are inhuman croaks. It's an extremely intense and suffocating album and it does not let up for almost an hour.

Teitanblood proves that there are still some truly interesting metal bands being formed. The band is very new and has a very bright future as long as they keep putting out music like this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm listening to this a bit on Youtube, and I have to say I like the music (a lot), but hate the production. I like clean production.

    With this kind of sound you HAVE to turn it up to hear the subtleties, and when the volume is up it's really good. But most of the time I'm listening on headphones, and I've already got tinnitus--don't need to make it any worse.

    Maybe that's why I like tech-death so much. All the intricacies of the music are just laid out for you with no worries about subtlety.

    I don't know though, this IS really good.

    ReplyDelete