Saturday, July 31, 2010

Various Artists: Fear Candy 69

I have a stack of sampler CDs sitting around collecting dust. As such, I have many more various artists compilations posts in the coming weeks.

This is Terrorizer's Fear Candy #69.

OBITUARY: "LIST OF DEAD"
I was not totally impressed with the latest album by Obituary, but this is the best song on it. Still has that dirty groove that Obituary is known for. Great song. I own the album.

ARTILLERY: "10,000 DEVILS"
I own this album too. Artillery's return was one of the best comebacks from the 1980's thrash wave. This song is great and the album is better.

BONE GNAWER: "CANNIBAL COOKOUT"
Bone Gnawer is the band formed by Kam Lee after leaving Denial Fiend. Lee has one of the best voices in death metal and he brings it to this intense death metal band. This song seriously sounds great. I would pick up this album.

ANAAL NATHRAKH: "THE LUCIFER EFFECT"
Easily one of the most intense bands in metal today. Anaal Nathrakh performs industrialized black metal and they play fast as fuck. Strangely I have not really done much checking into this band. That should probably change soon.

: "THE RATTLE OF BLACK TEETH"
I'm not totally sure what to describe this as. It seems to have some hardcore elements, some death metal elements, and some other stuff. It features good cop/bad cop vocals, and I don't think I particularly care for it.

NECROPHOBIC: "LA SANTISMA MUERTE"
Dirty, raw, and occult death metal. I love this stuff. Necrophobic has been on my list to check out for awhile. Here's the reason why.

ARGHARUS: "PLEISTAS"
I already own the album by this Lithuanian raw pagan black metal act. Good song, better album. This is easily the best song off of the album.

DEVOURMENT: "FED TO THE PIGS"
A little slam in this thing. I already own this album too, but this song is one of the best off of it.

INGESTED: "SKINNED AND FUCKED"
More slam, excellent. This band is more of a borderline band though between slam and more ordinary brutal death metal. No complaints here. The ever-present blast beats sound great. This is a decent song, I may look into them some more.

BLEED FROM WITHIN: "SERVANTS OF DIVINITY"
This sounds like a band combining hardcore with The Black Dahlia Murder. The riffs are okay, but not something we haven't heard before. The vocals sound exactly like The Black Dahlia Murder. I would prefer TBDM personally.

KORPIKLAANI: "VODKA"
More drinking metal from the masters. They've taken a step beyond beer on this one. The folk metal band sounds a little like Ensiferum, but more fun. Kind of like Finntroll. Not bad at all. Good drinking music, excellent for a wedding...

SWASHBUCKLE: "CRUISE SHIP TERROR"
Two self-described pirate metal bands emerged in the last few years. Swashbuckle is a little better musically, if only because I much prefer thrash to power metal. Funny stuff.

VIATROPHY: "SEAS OF STORM"
This is almost mechanical-sounding death metal. I was actually somewhat surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Especially as it seemed to meander towards metalcore in the later moments. Still not too bad.

AFTER ALL: "MY OWN SACRIFICE"
Definitely metalcore. No thanks.

MENA BRINNO: "COURT ME"
I was very surprised by this one too. It has a traditional metal sound and is driven by fantastic guitar leads and solos. It also features a sweetly-voiced female singer. The proceedings under the singer are a little more gothic-tinged, but this is still a decent enough song. I would need to hear more before making a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment