Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 20: Megadeth: Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Ah, Megadeth. Megadeth was probably my second favorite metal band after I discovered Metallica. Obviously what drove me toward the band was the fact that Dave Mustaine, the only constant member of the band, was also in Metallica early on. He got kicked out of Metallica due to his raging alcohol abuse which is kind of like a law firm kicking someone out because they are too argumentative. Mustaine has apparently never gotten over that.

This was my second Megadeth tape, and my first one from their clear thrash metal phase. I bought it, along with a Pantera tape, at the mall when I was beginning to really broaden my metal horizons.

Megadeth has always had a more political slant to their lyrics and this is very clear from the title track "Peace Sells". The song is an angry rant about the state of the country. Much of the rest of the album consists of fast-paced thrash metal. Mustaine has always been able to write good riffs and this ability is front and center here on the band's sophomore album. The riffs are memorable and the guitar solos are incendiary. Mustaine uses his trademarked snarl to great effect and his anger is very apparent.

The only problem with the album is the cover song. Willie Dixon's "I Ain't Superstitious" isn't the best song for a metal band to cover. But, this band also covered Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots", on their debut no less, so I guess I can't complain too much.

This album, along with the rest of the band's first four albums, are all essential listening for thrash metal aficionados.

No comments:

Post a Comment