Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dusting Off a Cassette Pt. 19: Ozzy Osbourne: No More Tears

This album began my long-lasting appreciation of the works of Ozzy Osbourne, most of them anyway. Before I ever bought any Black Sabbath album with Ozzy as singer, I bought this album. That's what happens when you are naive and growing up listening to metal in the '90's. Sometimes you come late to the game. I remember being surprised when I found out Ozzy sang for Black Sabbath at one time. I bought this album alongside Black Sabbath's Cross Purposes album, Queensryche's Empire, and one other album that will remain nameless because of its ability to impeach my perfect 100% metal persona.

This is a very good Ozzy album, but it was one of the last consistently good Ozzy albums as well. After this, Ozzy began devoting half of each album to ballads. There were a few on this one as well, but for the most part this was solid heavy metal. The production was a little on the weaker side, Ozzy's voice took the biggest hit. But that was okay, metal production at the time was notoriuosly weak.

The songs were very memorable and had a strange unsettling atmosphere. It was at this time, that Ozzy was starting to become well known as "The Prince of Darkness". All in all, this was a good Ozzy Osbourne album, certainly not his best, but definitely not his worst either.

No comments:

Post a Comment