Monday, June 29, 2009

13 Year Old Gives Up His IPod for a Walkman for a Week

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8117619.stm

Lame. This kid decided to trade in his iPod for a Walkman for a little while. Hilarity ensues. Some of the more interesting quotes:

"When I wore it walking down the street or going into shops, I got strange looks, a mixture of surprise and curiosity, that made me a little embarrassed."

"It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape. "

"Another notable feature that the iPod has and the Walkman doesn't is "shuffle", where the player selects random tracks to play. Its a function that, on the face of it, the Walkman lacks. But I managed to create an impromptu shuffle feature simply by holding down "rewind" and releasing it randomly - effective, if a little laboured. "

"Personally, I'm relieved I live in the digital age, with bigger choice, more functions and smaller devices. I'm relieved that the majority of technological advancement happened before I was born, as I can't imagine having to use such basic equipment every day."

For fuck's sake, it's a fucking WALKMAN, not some piece of machinery from the fucking Renaissance. The technology is not that far out of step. I still have a Walkman that I got in high school, not much more than 10 years ago. It still works well. Hell it sounds great. I love my Walkman. I just used it today in fact, while mowing the lawn I was listening to my cassette of Voivod's Nothingface. I don't even own an MP3 player or an iPod. I can't imagine owning one. I am perfectly happy with my tapes, my CDs, and my records, thank you very much. Fuck off.

1 comment:

  1. It really is funny how kids think anything more than 5 years old is some ancient relic. I stuck with my Walkman for a long time, bu to be honest, now that I have an ipod I really am glad I updated.

    ReplyDelete