Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Alice in Chains Release New Song

I remember when Kurt Cobain, legendary singer for Nirvana, committed suicide. I was in middle school and a LOT of my friends were very upset. It did not bother me quite as much. Sure, it's sad whenever someone commits suicide, but I was never as big a fan of Nirvana as some of my friends. They had some decent songs, but I never bought an album by the band and it never even really crossed my mind to do so.

I grew up and started listening to music at the same time the grunge scene was exploding. Nevertheless, I only really liked the harder rock songs. However, two of the bands that were considered big parts of the grunge scene were actually metal bands. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had major metal influences and actually played a style of music closer to traditional metal and doom metal.

Alice in Chains was one of my favorite bands when I was getting into metal. I was much more broken up when vocalist Layne Staley died of a heroin overdose than when Kurt Cobain committed suicide. Staley had a very distinct, tormented vocal style. When he died, so apparently did the band.

Now, almost 15 years later, Alice in Chains released a new song with William DuVall as their new singer. Honestly, it's pretty good. It features the same doom-laden, sludgy riffs as classic Alice in Chains and even the familiar vocal harmonics, giving the song an uneasy, eerie feeling. It's a decent song, and I will be interested in checking out their album. I never thought I would feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment