Sunday, May 10, 2020

Cloak: The Burning Dawn (2019)

Cloak is a band who I heard for the first time when they were opening for Uada along with Wormwitch.  I was incredibly impressed the first time I heard them and grabbed a vinyl from the band at the time.  I still have not gotten around to reviewing that one, because it's harder for me to get time to listen to those.  Not exactly portable.  Anyway, this is the band's second album and I am going to once again spoil things.  This was my runner-up to the Album of the Year.  So, I kind of like it.

Cloak's sound is sort of unique.  It is a mix between black metal and rock with some definite Southern rock influences.  The songs are all catchy as hell with infectious hooks that keep the listener coming back for more.  The frequent, smoldering guitar solos are the primary Southern influence.  One could easily imagine a band like Corrosion of Conformity or Down playing them, if not for the freezing cold vocals that call to mind former tour-mates Uada.

Seriously, check this album out, this is well worth it.  Every song on here is amazing.  All killer, no filler.  This band should be barreling toward stardom right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment