Saturday, March 9, 2019

KISS in Sioux Falls, SD: March 6, 2019

Well, first of all, no, KISS is not really a metal band.  They had moments over the years and certainly were lumped into the metal category in the 1970's and 1980's when there was less of an understanding of what constituted metal music.  They influenced their fair share of metal bands, but were also a primary influence on the hair bands of the 1980's.  That being said, they had some songs that were metal or close, such as "Detroit Rock City", "God of Thunder" and more.  But it is the band's stage show more than anything that make them a must-see band.  Two nights ago, I had an opportunity to see them for the first time.  My wife was very excited to see them and so we made the arrangements to go to Sioux Falls, two-and-a-half hours away. 

The opening act was a man named David Garibaldi, who is apparently a "performance painter".  He paints portraits of rock stars very quickly set to music.  He also worked to try to hype up the crowd.  He did three paintings during his 20 minute set: portraits of Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger and some weird thing that was supposed to be inspired by Sioux Falls.  Maybe I do not know enough about the area, but I did not get it.  His art was pretty good and it was fairly entertaining to watch him.  I'm not sure I would go out of my way to watch, but he is definitely talented.

After an extended break, KISS took the stage, playing "Detroit Rock City".  Of course only Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley remain from the original foursome.  Eric Singer wears the makeup popularized by Peter Criss and Tommy Thayer the makeup for Ace Frehley.  One thing that I noticed right away is a bit of a lack of movement on the part of the band.  Being in their 60's, they are not as mobile anymore in the first place, and certainly not in massive platform boots.  Simmons's costume is looking particularly unwieldy these days.

This is supposedly the band's final tour, though it is at least the fifth time that has happened.  Maybe.  So, the band played through a somewhat lengthy set covering most of their greatest hits ("Strutter" was noticeably absent) across most eras of the band.  The major stage moments were also present.  Simmons spit fire during "War Machine" and blood during "God of Thunder", and there were quite a few pyrotechnics.  They played several of my own personal favorite songs, including "Love Gun" and "Black Diamond".  For the most part the band sounded pretty good.  Stanley had some issues with his voice throughout the night, but was passable. 

I am not the biggest KISS fan in the world.  In fact, I would not call myself a fan at all.  Over the years I have only had three of their albums, and one of those, a vinyl of their debut, I cannot even find any more.  I do kind of wish I had that back.  It is likely at my parents' house, but I have no idea where.  But KISS puts up a terrific stage show, despite the fact that their music is not really all that great.  They are a must-see band, and now, my wife and I can say we have seen KISS.  On their final tour no less.  At least until the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment