Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Cobalt: Slow Forever (2016)

It has been quite some time since I have checked in with Cobalt.  Back in 2009, their album Gin was a critical darling of the metal press, coming near the top of several year-end lists.  It was an American black metal album of the highest order, taking influence from mostly other U.S. black metal bands, throwing in some sludge metal and crafting their own sound around it. 

I loved the album too, but I had almost forgotten about the band, and it has been years since I have heard Gin.  I decided to check out their most recent album, apparently the only one I missed.  Some things have changed about the band.  Vocalist and lyricist Phil McSorley, who was an active member in the U.S. Army, is no longer in the band.  Replacing him on vocals is Charlie Fell, who was a drummer for Abigail Williams and is most recently known for his time with controversy magnets Lord Mantis.  

The first thing I noticed upon listening to this album is the increase in melodies and sections that have a very distinct American/Western feel to them.  In fact the album kicks off with one such melody in opening track "Hunt the Buffalo".  The title is also a dead giveaway.  There is also the cavalry cadence of the snare drums in "Animal Law" and the instrumental track "Breath" which sounds like something that would be at home in a John Wayne Western.  These influences and melodies continue throughout the entire album giving it a definite Americana vibe.  It is kind of odd because most of the music is very clearly black metal, with Fell's raspy roar and cold, razor-sharp riffs.

The other thing that I noticed, which is maybe not as much of a point in the album's favor, is the length.  This thing is almost an hour and a half in length and many of the songs eclipse the eight minute mark.  In other words, it is a little difficult to find time to sit down and just listen to this album all the way through.  And that is the way that the album works best, not in snippets, but in one cohesive whole because Cobalt does a fantastic job of having the songs lead into one another.  It just feels complete that way.

It has been a long time since I have heard Gin.  I will have to pull it back out to compare to this one.  I just remember that I really enjoyed it.  And I really enjoy this one too, perhaps even moreso.  I find the Americana elements add a lot of flavor to the still impressive black metal elements.  This is a truly American black metal album. 

No comments:

Post a Comment