Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Caustic Vomit: Festering Odes to Deformity (2018)

I still consider going back to a subscription to Decibel Magazine.  Just to have something to read and possibly discover some new bands.  Though it is true that my tastes in metal do not always align with Decibel (man, I miss Metal Maniacs), I still like reading it.  I really enjoy the Hall of Fame selections and articles, though again, my tastes do not always align (one month that I had a subscription their pick was The Jesus Lizard which baffled me since the band was never considered close to metal).  I do check out the website fairly often these days and one of my favorite features is the Demo: Listen.  That is how I discovered Caustic Vomit.

Caustic Vomit is a Russian death/doom metal band who released their first demo in the last couple of days of 2018.  Their demo is made up of just three songs, each of which is around ten minutes in length.  Eschewing any sort of traditional song structure, each track lurches and crawls through several distinctive segments.  For the most part, the songs are slow-paced with swampy riffs and a deep sense of foreboding and a waterlogged, gurgling vocal style.  Occasionally, the band breaks into a faster-paced riff that sounds like some great primordial beast shaking itself off after arising out of a murky cesspool.  

This is an absolutely terrific slab of filthy and grimy death/doom metal from Russia, of all places.  Russian metal is typically known for pagan black metal bands, so it is nice to see a damn good extreme metal band from there.  I will be interested in hearing more from this group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment