Saturday, August 28, 2010

Compilations: Metal Edge Nov./Dec. 2007

This one is slightly better than the last trainwreck of a Metal Edge sampler. Onwards.

MONSTER MAGNET: "WALL OF FIRE"
I always enjoyed Monster Magnet, particularly their spacy, drugged-out stuff of the mid 1990's. Dopes to Infinity is a great album, but then they became just another stoner rock band. There's not much to really distinguish them from Queens of the Stone Age anymore to be honest. They still write some catchy stuff, but the magic is gone. This song does not change my opinion.

HELLOWEEN: "PAINT A NEW WORLD"
This was the best song off of the newest Helloween album, which I own. For a brief moment, they have made a return to their speed metal days. Their last album was a magnificent return to form for the band and quite possibly their best since the Keeper of the Seven Keys albums. I already own this album.

SEETHER: "FMLYHM"
I hate Seether with every fiber of my being. There I said it. They are the worst of the Nickelback clones, unoriginal and fucking boring. This acronym apparently stands for "Fuck me like you hate me". I do hate you Seether, but no, just no. NFM.

OM: "UNITIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE GODHEAD"
The other band that formed out of the ashes of Sleep, High on Fire is the other. Om is much more drawn-out and experimental than High on Fire. Om is a stoner doom metal band that specializes in slow dirges. It's not as slow as funeral doom however. It's an interesting song, and I do love stoner doom, but this one is not quite good enough to get me to check the band out further yet.

THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER: "WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE"
I own this album. The song title is a reference to a Castlevania NES game. TBDM often get unfairly lumped in with the metalcore scene, since they are from America and tour with a lot of those other bands, but their sound is clearly At the Gates-inspired melodeath. This is a great example. Very good band that I wish people would listen to before writing them off. I was guilty of it once too, but I figured it out.

MOTORHEAD: "R.A.M.O.N.E.S."
A Motorhead tribute to The Ramones. I like Motorhead quite a bit but don't really care for The Ramones. It's an okay song, but I'll pass.

POLKADOT CADAVER: "WHAT'S THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN?"
What a stupid band name. It starts out standard death metal with some keyboards but then this bizarre almost polka section starts. I'm not kidding. It's truly the most awful thing I have ever heard. This song blows. NFM.

SCUM OF THE EARTH: "I AM MONSTER"
Metal Edge was really pushing this album by Rob Zombie's former guitarist. My apathy is palpable. NFM.

DEMON HUNTER: "FADING AWAY"
I don't care for Demon Hunter. It's not the Christian thing, not at all. I have mentioned several Christian bands I enjoy in the past. It's the fact that they saw it as a wise decision to blend nu-metal with metalcore. Seriously. What the fuck were they thinking? NFM.

ELECTRIC WIZARD: "DUNWICH"
Probably the greatest stoner doom metal band ever. This is a fantastic, mesmerizing song, pulled out of an H.P. Lovecraft album. EW provides just the kind of slow, lumbering, horrifying music to fit the doom and gloom of the original story. I own this album. The band has a new one coming out soon, looking forward to it.

CIRCUS MAXIMUS: "WITHER"
This is a progressive metal band in the vein of Dream Theater. This song is pretty decent. The choruses are definitely a highlight and feature some Queensryche-esque vocals. I actually like this quite a bit.

FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH: "THE BLEEDING"
This is another terrible band that is inexplicably popular in the mainstream. I never understood it either. They're like a retro nu-metal band, a thing which I keep hoping does not come back but, against the wishes of us all, seems determined to do so. NFM.

CURSE OF DISOBEDIENCE: "CARVED IN STONE"
Totally nondescript Nickelback clone. I was expecting something decent with the band's name, but this is worthless. NFM.

BLACKLIST UNION: "EVERYTHING YOU NEED"
This is just terrible. I don't even want to describe it. I finally hit the skip button. NFM.

S.E.X. DEPARTMENT: "REVENGE OF VAMPIRES"
Oh lord. See above. I'm done, twenty seconds into this. NFM.

No comments:

Post a Comment