Monday, October 21, 2019

Possessor: Gravelands (2019)

Sometimes, there is nothing better than listening to a really good stoner doom metal album.  And I am talking about those bands who do not meander too much and incorporate a lot of psychedelia.  I am referring to the bands who have a lot of rock elements, with grooving riffs and rumbling bass.

Here we have one such band, London's Possessor.  Possessor combines elements of thrash metal into their stoner doom, sounding more like a punkier version of High on Fire than anything else.  Possessor sounds like they are having an absolute blast playing these songs.  They are energetic and generally fast-paced, and with a lot of groove to the riffs, it is guaranteed to get heads banging.

The highlight on the album is the frantic crunching riffs in "Breathe Fire".  The song flies by with the best riff on the album (which is saying something), incorporating a rollicking bass line and spaced-out vocals.  The solo is not to be missed either. 

I was incredibly impressed by my first shot listening to Possessor.  So much so that I picked up what I could by the album.  This is a whole lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment