Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Inquisitor: Dungeons of Fear (2016)

Inquisitor's label still sends me promos on occasion, but I do not recall whether they sent me anything by Inquisitor since their split with Decayed and Irae.  I was not even completely sure the band still existed until I recently placed an order with the label, Hell D Productions.  I saw this demo from 2016 there and decided to grab it since I always liked Inquisitor's take on thrash metal.

Well, we are still waiting on a full-length from Inquisitor.  This is their most recent release and it is just a four-song demo.  Granted, it is a fast and dirty four-song demo and that is typical of the band, but it would be nice to get a full-length.

Inquisitor's sound is blackened thrash/speed metal very similar to a number of South American bands.  This becomes more obvious with the track "Anjo Exterminador", which is a cover originally done by a Brazilian band called Flageladör.  The riffs are fast-paced and there are frequently soaring guitar solos played over the top of the riffs, giving the release some very impressive melody.  The blackened element comes more from the vocals, which are delivered in a typical black metal rasp. 

Inquisitor would fit in well on a playlist with groups like Witchtrap, Victimizer and Atomizer.  The music is aggressive and fast, but with a lot of melody.  I am still waiting for that full-length.

No comments:

Post a Comment