Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Destruction: Mad Butcher (1987)

I talk about German thrash metal a lot.  Well, I am a huge fan of thrash metal, and despite discovering German thrash significantly later in my life, I actually prefer it to Bay Area thrash metal.  In general.  There are obviously bands such as Metallica, Testament and Exodus that I love, but I really do tend to like the more aggressive, rawer style of the German bands. 

There are of course three primary bands that most thrash metal fans know of as the German Big Three.  Of the German Big Three, the only sure thing is that Destruction is my least favorite.  My views on Kreator versus Sodom change almost daily, but Destruction generally lags behind.  That is not to suggest in any way that I dislike them, I just like the other two more.  I love Release from Agony, and I believe Destruction is probably the best of the three currently, but those early albums cannot be ignored.

That brings us to today's review, Destruction's Mad Butcher EP.  This was released shortly after the band's sophomore release and it featured two new members who were extremely technically proficient at their instruments.  That is likely the reason the members were brought on as Destruction sought to distance themselves from the raw and dirty sound of their countrymen.  It worked reasonably well as Destruction is generally known as the better musicians than Kreator or Sodom.

There are just four songs on this release, including the title track, which has become something of an anthem for Destruction with the Mad Butcher basically becoming the band's mascot.  The song acts as a showcase for the new members and the band's new direction.  The second track is a cover of a Plasmatics song, which is emotionally-charged.  I am not familiar with the original version, but the song is impressive.  The third (and last real song) is a slow-burning one with more advanced composition than anything the band had done previously.

This is an impressive EP.  It is not really a vital release, unless one is a huge fan of Destruction (particularly in light of its combination with the previous album into a compilation), but it shows the band maturing and is an interesting step in the band's progression. 

No comments:

Post a Comment