Thursday, August 1, 2019

Azaghal: Valo Pohjoisesta (2018)

A few days back, I covered a couple of Finnish death metal bands, which scene is well-known for its experimental and weird sound.  Well today I have a Finnish black metal band, and one of my favorites at that.  I like Impaled Nazarene, Archgoat, Behexen and others, but for some reason Azaghal has been my particular favorite since I first heard Omega.

This is Azaghal's eleventh full-length release, and just my third.  I have a long way to go to get into the band's full discography.  But that tells you how great their music is when I have heard so little of it and consider them one of my favorite Finnish black metal bands.  Particularly since I have no idea what the lyrics mean.

This album starts out like so many do, with a creepy instrumental introduction before descending into the madness of the first real song "Mato joka sinut turmelee".  Featuring pounding drums, a whirlwind of riffs, deeply unsettling atmosphere and shrieked/snarled vocals, the song is a good look at what Azaghal is all about.  But the title track is my personal favorite song on the album with its uniquely melodic chorus breaks which is at odds with their otherwise merciless assault.  That is largely what makes Azaghal such an intriguing band.  They will be playing a perfectly normal and traditional-sounding hateful black metal riff, when, out of the blue, they will begin playing a dark and twisted melodic riff that is unlike anything heard before in black metal.

Azaghal has impressed me once again.  I will have to do some research into their other albums because every one that I have heard is amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment