Friday, January 6, 2012

2011 in Review: Disappointments

MEGADETH: TH1RT3EN
I have mentioned time and time again how big of a Megadeth fan I am. Even when they were declining rapidly in the 1990s and early 2000's, they still usually put out something at least somewhat interesting, which is what makes this album such a disappointment. It is just so bland. I loved their last album Endgame, so this was a smack in the face for me. It's unfortunate.

SCAR SYMMETRY: THE UNSEEN EMPIRE
It's official, Scar Symmetry no longer has anything left. They went from being a wildly talented and catchy band to boring mainstream metal in the span of just a few albums. I blame the loss of singer Christian Alvestam. After he left, the band lost its most recognizable feature. Their last album still had a few good songs, but this one is just sort of there.

HATE ETERNAL: PHOENIX AMONGST THE ASHES
I just do not get it. Metalsucks has a massive hard-on for this band and has for years. I hear middle-of-the-road death metal with pounding and incoherent drumming. It's not that I dislike Hate Eternal really, it's that I do not think they should get the adulation that they seem to get in Metalsucks and Decibel. It just is not anything that a ton of other bands are doing better.

PENTAGRAM: LAST RITES
The U.S.'s original(?) metal band returned for the first new album in several years. While it is not a bad album really, it just did not really meet my expectations. I was hoping for some great traditional doom metal, and there are some tracks that meet that, but many sound like typical modern rock fare. That just is not going to cut it for me. I loved it on the first few listens, but that eventually changed as I continued to listen to it.

I DID NOT EVEN BOTHER WITH:
METALLICA AND LOU REED: LULU
MORBID ANGEL: ILLUD DIVINUM INSANUS

No comments:

Post a Comment