Saturday, December 4, 2010

Initial Impressions: God Dethroned: Bloody Blasphemy

Well, I'm finally back full-time. My law office is coming around and I decided to buy a CD this week.

God Dethroned was one of the bands that I saw in concert with my fiancee last spring. They kind of sound like a more melodic version of recent Behemoth. It's definitely blackened death metal, with some thrash influences and plenty of melody. This is one of the band's earlier albums, having been released in 1999.

Still, the band's sound has not changed all that much. The songs are straightforward, no-nonsense blackened death. Lots of power and speed and some occasional melodies. Vocalist Henri Sattler has one of the better voices in this type of metal, very distinctive and powerful.

There are some clean vocals thrown in occasionally, including female vocals, that help to add to the melody.

God Dethroned has a new album coming out soon, and if it is anything like this one or their most recent, the only two God Dethroned albums I have heard to this point, then I am definitely there.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear about your new office and glad to see you back.

    I met a guy at work a few weeks ago who stopped by to introduce himself because he saw my Mastodon poster in my cube, and because he saw me wearing a Relapse t-shirt. He was at the same show you were, and got a signed copy of Passiondale. He loaned it to me and I listened to it twice. I thought it was very Swe-death sounding, myself, but it wasn't something to knock me out of my seat.

    ReplyDelete