Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Gallower: Witch Hunt is On (2015)

This release was a throw-in when I ordered yesterday's Cemetery Urn and the next several releases.  I had not heard of Gallower before receiving this.  I do have to say though that this is one of the best freebies I have ever received, certainly better than that damn Christian metal compilation from Sunday.  I will be tracking down Gallower's other releases in the near future.

Witch Hunt is On is the Polish band's first release, a demo that sounds like the band has been recording albums for years.  It is polished in a very raw sort of way, in that the band is obviously talented, but the riffs have an intense and savage ferocity.  Add to that the extreme speed and this release sounds like the early recordings of groups like Sodom, Destruction and Possessed.  The only complaint I have is the vocals could use a bit more variety, but they do really fit the music.

I was truly impressed with this demo, in a way that has not happened frequently with new groups.  Gallower has put out a couple of other releases and I will definitely be tracking them down.  This is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment