Saturday, December 28, 2019

Isole: Dystopia (2019)

Isole is yet another one of those bands that I checked out when I was living alone after starting my first job and found myself bored and flush with extra money, then never followed up afterwards.  I enjoyed album Bliss of Solitude, though it was very slow-paced.  They are a doom metal band after all.  But whether it was due to not having the magazine Metal Maniacs around after they closed up (which was where I found a LOT of new music) or just narrowing my focus, I never realized the band was still active and releasing albums.  I came across this one randomly on a label website and grabbed it since I remembered that I did like the band once upon a time.

This is at least the third album in my collection named Dystopia.  Of course that is a fairly stereotypical name for a metal album.  The other bands have been Megadeth and Iced Earth.  The Megadeth album is probably their best album in years.  The Iced Earth album was the band's first with Stu Block on vocals.  But enough about those, I just thought that fact was kind of interesting.

Isole is a Swedish epic doom metal band, incorporating stunning musicianship and majestic melodies into their sound.  The songs are grandiose and powerful, and they are quite long, none of them being less than six minutes in length.  This album is also heavier and darker than the other album I had heard by them.  That is at least partially due to the subject matter being so dark, dealing with several more negative emotions, depression and disillusionment.  The melodies are thus very somber and solemn, conveying the hopelessness of the lyrics well.

The highlight of the album, just as it has been with Isole is the incredible vocal performance of Daniel Bryntse.  Particularly powerful on "Written in the Sand", he can alternate easily between a deep yearning sound to a higher-pitched pained howl.  He remains the primary focal point throughout the album and with good reason.

I will try to remember this band from now on.  The vocals really are incredible and the album, though being slow, is quite powerful.  It is somber, yet beautiful.     

No comments:

Post a Comment