Thursday, December 5, 2019

Bölzer: Soma (2014)

This is now the third release from the Swiss genre-defying band Bölzer.  I have previously covered their first full-length from 2016 and their first EP from 2013.  So, I have definitely taken a weird sequence to get to their second EP, which actually came before their first full-length.  It kind of makes exploring their evolution a little difficult.

This is a two-song EP, and each of the songs is somewhat long.  The sound most closely resembles the previous EP instead of the later full-length.  The songs are generally built around a few ridiculously heavy, grinding riffs with swirling leads and some of the harshest vocals I have heard from the band.  This is possibly the heaviest release I have heard from the band.  I can only imagine  how much of a shock it was for the band to go from this sound to the much lighter and catchier Hero.

So I guess it is time to ask the same question I asked when I reviewed Aura.  Which release is better?  I guess I could rank them.  I actually prefer Soma to Aura personally.  I was not sure which of the releases between Aura and Hero was better previously, stating that it depended entirely on whether I was in the mood for something heavy or catchy.  I have since come around to preferring Hero and I still think I like it the best out of the three.  

No comments:

Post a Comment